Tuesday 15 May 2018

(Backup) So what is next.....

Before I had even got to the start line of London, I had decided I wasn’t doing another marathon for a while. Why? This marathon cycle has tested me mentally and I had pushed my body to its limits and Lily is growing up so fast, I felt so guilty the time that I spent away training, even though running is my stress relief from her!

I’m not going to lie, days after London, I was looking at autumn marathons and found one mid September before our holiday to Croatia. It fitted in perfectly but as everyone knows, life gets in the way and moving house is more of a priority!

So what is next?....... Speed! The allusive sub 40km and sub 1.30half are on my to do list for this year. Chasing those times started today, with my first proper speed session in years! I dusted off my old cross country spikes as I knew I needed all the help I could get and with a session planned and overlooked by Coach and my little cheerleader, I did it! 


There is a long way to go to get the speed back I had all those years ago when I was younger! My style has changed and I’ve lost some knee lift with all the slower paced things I’ve done during marathon training! 

My calf’s are currently screaming at me! So why wear spikes? I usually run in Hokas and they are perfect for long distance but I have found it difficult to run in them at a faster speed. I recently bought a pair of On Clouds, I’m not the biggest fan but when it comes to doing longer speed sessions and 5kms they are ok but today I opted for my spikes. I also wanted to see how my ankle would cope without me wearing my orthotics, my answer... it’s not just my calf’s that hurt!! . It showed me there is still a long way to go in the rehabilitation of my ankle even though I am pain free when running and walking. 

Plenty of stretching, heal drops and foam rolling will be done in the next couple of days to help my legs recover, so we know it’s bad when the foam roller appears in our home! 

So here’s to trying to get my little legs running faster, wish me luck!! 

Abby x 

No comments:

Post a Comment