Sunday 6 May 2018

VLM 2018

So it’s now 2 weeks after The Virgin London Marathon 2018 and I thought it’s about time i write about it!

The days and hours leading into it, I was a nervous wreck. We visited the expo on the Wednesday, the temperatures were starting to creap up and hydration was key! I kept myself busy with work and looking after Lily until the evening before. We are very lucky to have such a supportive family to help look after her! For me until today, my pre race ritual was always a dairy free milkshake and a protein loaded pasta bake the night before! 



The morning arrived and alarm set at 5.30am to make sure I could plait my hair, eat a decent portion of porridge and allow plenty of time so we didn’t miss the coach! 

Myself and Ben were on different starts. We had been given the option to move Ben to the green start but as we had prepared ourselves and done most of our training on our own, we decided to run seperatly and stick to our own race plans! I cried when he left to walk to the red start, last year he had been my rock during the Brighton Marathon, how was I going to cope without him?! 

I had decided to run with a friend Jo and we had decided on a pace. Looking back, yes it was a bit fast for the conditions but we could only try and reassess on route to the finish! We started in pen 5 which was behind the 4 hour pacer, How?!  Jo had qualified with a 3.28 time from last year!

Anyway... we started and the first 3 miles went by so easily and quickly and I remember saying, “ I hope the next 23 miles go this easily”! I was so wrong! We got to mile 8 and my legs were starting to feel like jelly, I honestly thought that was the end of my marathon! I kept going and at mile 10 I had to put my music on and zone out as I knew it was the only way I would get to the finish. For me, the atmosphere was too much. I have never done a race with so many supporters and personally, I didn’t like it. The heat started to get to me after halfway and I knew it was just getting to the finish line in one piece now. People were already starting to receive medical treatment on the side of the road and I didn’t want to be one of them. At mile 15, I lost Jo and I can’t apologise enough for leaving her, one step she was there and the next she wasn’t. 

I kept counting down the miles and thinking to myself, get to 20 miles and then you can walk! I saw my family and friends at some point around that point, I asked how Ben was and they said, just keep going, don’t stop, he’s fine!! Dam you all, I wanted to do was stop at that point. Throughout the whole race, I walked for about 50 meters, it was more painful than running and I kept telling myself, if I keep running, I’ll get to the finish line quicker ๐Ÿ˜‚.



The overwhelming atmosphere continued all along the embankment and I saw my supporters around a mile before the finish. I had no idea what time I was on for as I never looked at my watch the whole race until then. With my bad maths, I worked out I had 20 minutes to do the last mile to get another good for age but why, as I am never doing it ever again!

The 365 yards sign came and then the finish. Thank you to some very strong friends who caught me as I crossed the line. You saved me from breaking anymore of my front teeth! 

Meeting up with my friends and family..... I cried again but the most important thing was getting to the nearest GBK for a milkshake and burger! 

So how do I describe VLM 2018, BRUTAL! 
How do I feel about running 3.35, I couldn’t be happier. 
Will I be doing it again, HELL NO! 
To my family and friends who supported us on the day( you know who you are) I BLOODY LOVE YOU, and Ben, I am so proud of you and your right, let’s stick to the shorter distances!


Thank you to Phil Jelly Photography for the pictures ๐Ÿ˜

No comments:

Post a Comment